728 X 90 Ad slot

Monday, November 29, 2010

Blog #23: Fashion as Art?

Oi Gevalt! So having gotten the blog requirement sheet I have at least ...16 blogs to complete in 8 days. At least 2 blogs every night: not too bad. So let's do this thing. So what's on my artistic mind...hmmm.

OH! I made a scarf over Thanksgiving Break. I'm not sure if that qulifies as art but I suppose fashion is a form of sculpture. Really it's nothing to marvel at and must be the easiest dame thing a person can make. I just found some nice woven plaid fabric, cut a square yard of it, sewed all four sides approximately 2 inches from the edge, and then frayed all the excess edges. Over time the remaining threads will twist into tassels on their own. But I like it. It's a simple yet bold black and white plaid. And while it's a very thin/flexible fabric, it's 100% cotton. So essentially I made the scarf in the picture on the left. I by no means am a fashionista though my family insists that I'm a , what is the term, metrosexual? Well I don't know about that but I know what I like and I've had my eye on this fabric before. Now, tis mine! Bwahaha





Next I think I'm gonna have to knit myself a ear warmer/head band. It's darn cold in these parts and my ears are the first to go. I'm not sure if it's worth describing the process aside that it will be a double-knit patter. This just means that I'll use alternating colors, it will be reversible with opposited color patterns on either side. What that pattern and/or colors will be I have no idea so in my free time that will be a little side project.







But while we're on the topic of fashion, it really is an artform in it's own right. Clothing sends just as, if not more, messages than conventional visual art. However i suppose it says more about the wearer/owner than it does about the designer. Also I think the taste in fashions is much more tempramental than the taste in art. But just a taste in a specific timeperiod or style can be one of the strongest messages a person can send. We are all victims of contemporary culture in some shape or form, especially when it comes to the latest trends. *GOD I hate what Justin Beiber has done for boy's hairstyles* And adopting a style, whether it be goth, prep, hipster, or whatnot says alot about your identity. I've searched for my stylistic identity for sometime now and I think I'm only now starting to develop it. I like to come off as learned and pretentious. Tis true. I love my glasses because of this. But in general I've always liked the look of a dapper professor. The nice shoes, the vest, the argile sweater, the turtle neck, the artists scarf, the cultured grey streak I've started to don. Mind you there's a fine line between looking nerdy and fashionably smart which really just comes down to certain details. I've been told it makes me come off as snobbish but I also have been asked for directions alot more recently.
Monday, November 29, 2010 by Amidanah Rohmah · 0

0 Responses to “Blog #23: Fashion as Art?”

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Rights Reserved New Pictures | Blogger Templates by Bloggermint