728 X 90 Ad slot

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Blog #21: Thanksgiving Art Time

Before I left for Thanksgiving break I decided to try and make an effort to get caught up on my blogs. So far I've succeeded only in failing to do that. BUT let it be known that I haven't been neglecting my artistic juices. As a matter o face I may have stumbled onto artistic genius. Or just something really really cool.

I am a pathetic member of the BSU BGLAD club. I say pathetic because I have yet to contribute much to the campus's gay community. However another less-than-active member (last I checked) was attempting to organize an art show at the SUB highlighting the "hardships of the LGBT community". I believe any contributing artists are supposed to pay homage to anyone who has suffered or worked to help the gay community. This can include anyone from Harvey Milk to Lady GaGa. Well, I'm fairly good at portraitures so I figured that's what I'd do since it only takes me a few hours to complete one.

After much deliberation, I decided to make attempts at a series of LGBT members who have died under tragic circumstance. This includes Rock Hudson (one of the first celebrities to die of AIDS) to a man named Robert Eads (a female to male transexual who died of ovarian cancer because no doctor would treat him). I've completed James Dean (carcrash) and Gia Carangi (AIDs) and hope to finish portraits of Matthew Shepard, Fred Martinez, Brandon Teena & Harvey Milk.

But here's where I've stumbled onto brilliance. I've decided to do these portraits in crayon. Why crayon? Because it's a humble, challenging and exceptionally neglected medium. I do not have the luxury of erasing or blending colors. And speaking of colors, because of the LGBT theme...I'm using nothing but the 6 colors of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. So there you have it. Most likely I'll be scanning the originals so I can enhance the colors on the computer like I do. Hopefully the art show goes as planned and I'll be exhibited. Some pieces are going to be put on silent auction. Some of the proceeds will go to the expenses of renting the gallery out and anything more will be donated to the LGBT center. So if you want one of these you'll just have to come to the gallery and fork up the doe.
Thursday, November 25, 2010 by Amidanah Rohmah · 0

0 Responses to “Blog #21: Thanksgiving Art Time”

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Rights Reserved New Pictures | Blogger Templates by Bloggermint