728 X 90 Ad slot

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Blog #16: Kitsch Schmitsch!!

Kitsch Schmitsch! While I'm proud to be able to identify varying art as kitsch, I'm beginning to really dislike this term. It's very condescending in a way. At least it can be. Perhaps this is because it looks like a jumble of the words "sick" & "shit" but it seems that anything that isn't kitsch has to be disturbing or grotesque, anything that brings a recognizable pleasure is apparently passe and cheap. Well I LIKE kitsch but I don't want to be labeled a "kitsch" artist because then I feel like those who would label me think "aw you pander to what's safe and in order to be successful you pander to what you know will sell."  But then I suppose it's a no win situation here because anyone who claims to hate kitsch I automatically think "aw you're one of those people who have to shove your dogma into other people's faces and hope you become popular with some cult following! AND as soon as you do become popular...*cough Tim Burton cough* ...you suddenly become kitsch yourself!!"  So I LIKE pleasing people! I mean isn't that the foundation from which the profession of artist is built? ....granted so is prostitution but thats beside the point! Anyhoo, I also like pretty things. I like looking at them and I find great indignation when anyone insinuates that's a bad thing.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 by Amidanah Rohmah · 0

0 Responses to “Blog #16: Kitsch Schmitsch!!”

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Rights Reserved New Pictures | Blogger Templates by Bloggermint